[Friday, June 26, 2009]

Home again, home again . . .

Hokng Kong's humidity is worse than home--note to self, don't go to Hk or Macau in the summer.

Labels: , ,

The cat left something in the box at [8:59 PM] 0 comments

[Wednesday, June 24, 2009]


Wednesday is free museum day for some of HK's museums. What a brilliant idea. Went to the Ceramics exhibit at the Hong Kong Museum of Art and the one with Chinese art.

Felt a bit under the weather and went back for an hour's nap before heading out again. The thing about the city centre on HK island is that it is quite walkable. I almost got lost, but managed to find my way again.

Had dinner at Mak's Noodles (wanton and dumpling noodles) and She Wang Fun (claypot rice and seasonal snake dishes) with kit, who made some time in her schedule to entertain me. I did not touch the snake soup. Not that I am squeamish, but it's not even winter yet and the need for warming soups is not very high.

Labels: , , ,

The cat left something in the box at [7:14 AM] 0 comments

[Tuesday, June 23, 2009]


Took the ferry to Macau for sightseeing and to meet up with parents. That's three countries this holiday.

Made it to Macau and took a free shuttle to the Lisboa--or rather the giant golden mutant offspring of a pineapple and a turnip next door to the Lisboa. It's casino-centre here in downtown Macau--not my kind of thing.

So I didn't get to go to Robuchon a Galera (due to a fully-booked lunch room), but my parents are going for lunch there tomorrow. I missed a Michelin Star restaurant by a hair--ah well.

We had pretty good dim sum at the Lisboa's restaurant instead.

Dear Lonely Planet,

The shopping arcades of the Lisboa are still seedy post-renovation. My dad was propositioned by a few ladies of the afternoon while we were on the way to lunch--with my mum and I standing less than two metres away. Mum and I told my dad that we trusted that he had enought judgement to do the right thing. But later, when my mum caught sight some of the ladies , she grabbed my dad's arm post-haste . . .

*must remember that parents do not move very fast* *must remember that parents never moved very fast*

And Mum lost her handphone sometime after buying souvenir cookies. Blamed it on me as usual. *sigh*

A Filipina at the small park behind the church offered to walk around with me. She had just been laid off and had nothing to do. Nice of her to offer, but I was in a hurry and not in that great a mood. Limited time, limited patience . . .

I did most of the suggested route on my own, having lost the parents somewhere around the Leal Senado.

Made it for my ferry by catching a cab once I hit the main road down at the Leal Senado. Was so hungry that I ate at the Macdonald's at the ferry terminal building.

Labels: , , ,

The cat left something in the box at [7:42 AM] 0 comments

[Monday, June 22, 2009]


Mildly stressed out by presence of the parental units. Make that very stressed out by the P.U.s.

Had dim sum for breakfast with kit at a restaurant near her place. They still push around the large metal carts with fried carrot cake and other dishes. According to kit, they don't do that in many restaurant back at home anymore as it is potentially painful and dangerous work.

As it turned out, my parents had not had breakfast and were a bit put out by the fact that I had good dim sum. (Communication, we all fail at it.) After breakfast at a nearby McDonald's--I know, I know--and a quick run to a Watson's to buy a brolly and some water for my mum we made our way through the rain to the church and sought sanctuary for a while. After a while, the rain slackened off and we went on to the Peak Tram terminal.

The sales person was trying to sell us combination tickets to Madam Tussuad's, but we were not interested in wax figures. ("No, Dad, a wax figure of Tiger Woods/Bruce Lee/Barrack Obama is still not the real thing . . . ") As it was a cloudy day, the view from the Peak could have been better.

Lunch at a dim sum place kit recommended us. Urp. That was a bit indulgent. Had to walk a bit after that so we went window shopping in Wan Chai.

Went up the Midlevels with the 'rents by escalator and on foot. Dad stopped for foot reflexology while Mum and I moved on to the Catholic church. It was a bit difficult to find, but we got there in the end.

After the excesses of lunch, we all were more than okay to eat pho at a Vietnamese place on the slope under the escalators.

Shuffled back to kit's place. I have dan tat!

Edit: I opened my work email and I am terrified by the new load of stuff waiting to fall on my head when I get home. *stress stress stress*

Labels: , , ,

The cat left something in the box at [6:37 AM] 0 comments

[Sunday, June 21, 2009]


At Kit's place now. HK is very muggy and warm.

The day did not start out well as it was raining at 6am when I stepped out of the hotel. Yikes. Trundled down to the station in the rain--argh. Dragged damp and chilled self onto train and to Nippori to catch the Skyliner. Then daft old me stopped at Terminal 1 instead of 2. *runs back to Terminal 2* The queue at the check-in was awful.

Finally made it to HK Airport and to the main Island to meet up with kit. Bunking over at kit's apartment--it's nice to have a place for yourself. *quashes thoughts of moving out*

Went out for food (which was an exercise in the evils of pork-and-beef-based products shoved between slices of white bread) before crashing for a while.

Met my parents later for dinner on the Kowloon side before heading back by train. Got to try the ferry next time.

Labels: , ,

The cat left something in the box at [6:21 AM] 0 comments